Whether you have a San Diego property that you want to sell, or you are looking to buy a home and settle in our lovely city, one of the most important steps in the process is to find a real estate agent in San Diego. You will discover that there are plenty of options, but how do you choose the real estate agent which is right for you?
Here are a few tips.
- Look for an agent with local knowledge and experience. A real estate agent who has twenty years of experience in another city and only just moved to San Diego may be very good at what he or she does—but that person is not an expert on the local market like someone who has worked here for years. Choose an agent who has the pulse of the local market and understands what drives sales in each specific neighborhood—and what each neighborhood has to offer. If the agent can give you details on houses which are currently for sale quickly in response to a casual inquiry, that is a good sign.
- Pick an agent who has worked with both buyers and sellers. Whether you work with a real estate agent with a buyer or seller-based approach is based on your needs. In either case, however, it is smart to pick someone who has some experience with both. This can provide a broader and more helpful perspective.
- Find out if the agent you are interested specializes in your needs. If you are a first-time homebuyer, work with a real estate agent in San Diego who has experience working with others in your position. If you are a military veteran or service member, choose a San Diego VA real estate agent.
- Research online to find out about an agent’s reputation. Read reviews to get an idea both for how the agent works and to discover whether other buyers or sellers have had an enjoyable experience. You should also ask for referrals. Do not just take the names down and do nothing; actually, call the past clients and ask them to tell you about their time working with the agent.
- Look up licensing and credentials. Never neglect the basics. Check to make sure that the agent’s license is up to date and see whether there are disciplinary actions. You can also see whether they have received any awards.
- Work with someone who can meet your scheduling needs. Find out how long previous transactions have taken under the agent. How long did it take for previous clients to buy or sell their homes? Can you expect the agent to be able to help you according to your timetable? Also think about scheduling from a day-to-day point of view. What days of week is the agent available, and during what hours? Will he or she be there when needed?
- Decide whether to work with an individual or a team. Some agents work individually, while others are part of a team. There are pros and cons to working with a team versus an individual, so you will need to decide for yourself which you feel would be a better fit for you. Then make sure that you are selecting an agent who will fit your needs. You do not want to find yourself dealing with a team for example when you just want to work one-on-one with the same person throughout the process.
- Choose someone who can communicate well with you. You will be in contact a great deal with your real estate agent while you are buying or selling a San Diego home. So, make sure that the person you pick to work with can communicate with you in a mode that you are comfortable with (in person, via the phone or email, etc.). And that knows a great mortgage broker as well 😉 Also consider whether you have rapport with the agent. You want to work with someone who you can establish a great relationship with. If your personalities and sensibilities clash, you may have a tough time understanding one another.
- Pick someone with a personal approach. Finally, you do not want to deal with an agent who has a one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to real estate transactions. Look for someone who not only is willing to answer your questions with patience, but who also asks you a lot of questions in return to get to know you and understand your needs. That is someone who will go the extra mile for you.
I Can Help You Buy or Sell a Home in San Diego
For me, taking that individualized approach is important. Every client I have had a chance to work with in San Diego has been unique. I value every opportunity I get to help the amazing people who find their way to my business. Hopefully you will be my next happy client. Please give me a call at 858-337-2582 so we can discuss your needs. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!